Lexington, SC (Paul Kirby) The State of SC wants everyone that lives in SC and all the guests from across the state, the nation, and the world that are visiting us to enjoy the once in a lifetime experience of the upcoming total solar eclipse. In order to do that, you need to be prepared, follow a few safety rules and some suggestions for the most enjoyable viewing experience.
Many places across Lexington County are planning events for the ultimate viewing experience. They include just a few of the following:
The Lexington County Blowfish
• The Lexington County Blowfish will open their field for viewing with a a FREE viewing experience. You can experience the first transcontinental Total Eclipse in 99 years at the Lexington County Baseball Stadium on Ballpark Road in Lexington. Gates open at 8 am eastern.
• There is no charge for parking. No food or beverage allowed into the stadium.
• There will be a limited number of free Total Eclipse glasses for those entering the ballpark.
• All seating areas, concourse will be open seating.
• Field access will be determined by weather conditions.
• Find out more at www.goblowfishbaseball.com.
Capital City Lake Murray Country Solar 17 @ Lake Murray
• Capital City Lake Murray Country is also having an event that features the Jewel of SC, Lake Murray.
• It will have one of the largest viewing areas in the Midlands.
• Be sure to purchase your solar eclipse t-shirt and solar eclipse keepsake print.
• Events will take place at both park sites of Lake Murray Dam (Lexington and Irmo sides- parking fees will apply)
• This is a non-ticketed event.
• FREE water and FREE solar glasses will be offered while supplies last
• Reserved parking will be available at our Visitor Center. 29 spots will be available for $20 each.
• A FREE Solar 17 @ Lake Murray t-shirt will be given for every purchase of a spot. Stop by our Visitor Center (2184 North Lake Drive Columbia) to make your purchase, pick up your parking pass, and select your shirt. You can also a call to purchase over the phone (803-781-5940). If purchased over the phone, we can email you your parking pass.
• Be sure to have your parking pass and license visible upon arrival. We will have a staff member verify your information and direct you where to park.
• Please arrive between 10:30am-2:30pm. This is also the time that an off-duty officer will be present.
• There will be a shuttle service from the visitors' center to the dam.
• All parking at the Lake Murray Dam Park Sites will be first come-first serve
• See the full details on the website at: www.lakemurraycountry.com/things-to-do/events/columbia/solar-17-lake-murray
The Icehouse Amphitheater in Lexington.
They will have great music from Kenny George Band, Josh Roberts & the Hinges, and Sweet Sweet.
There will also be limited eyewear available.
This is a free event and no ticket is required.
Due to the expected large turnout, lawn chairs are not allowed for this event, seat cushions and blankets are welcome.
Find out more at www.icehouseamphitheater.com/events
The City of West Columbia will host Solar Fest West
• The Riverwalk Park and Amphitheater will be open for Solar Fest West – A Total Eclipse in the Park from 12 PM – 4 PM on August 21, 2017.
• The Riverwalk Park and Amphitheater is located at the foot of the historic Gervais Street Bridge at Meeting and Alexandra Streets in West Columbia.
• Find out more on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/events/447168288964149??ti=ia
You can watch this short video about safe viewing from the SCEMD and the SCHP.