South Congaree, SC (Paul Kirby) – A small grease fire in the deli / bakery area of the Food Lion in South Congaree was quickly brought under control Wednesday morning. The fire was reported by the staff of the store at approximately 8:30 a.m. Firefighters from multiple county fire stations responded.
The ladder company out of South Congaree was on the scene in minutes as was the battalion chief that is stationed there. They were backed up by crews from Edmund and several other county stations. An EMS crew was also on the scene for safety stand-by.
The crews quickly put the fire out using fire extinguishers. The fire was placed under control in about 15 minutes.
Even though the employees did evacuate the store, it does appear as if the store will re-open today. Activity in the deli may be restricted for the remainder of the day. It appears as if any damages were minimal.