Gas leak causes Pitt Stop in Pelion to close while firefighters standby, send four to hospital
Pelion, SC (Paul Kirby) The Pitt Stop convenience store at Fish Hatchery Road and Edmund Highway in Pelion was forced to close after gas began leaking inside the building Saturday evening. The call came in at 6:36 p.m. sending fire and EMS units from Pelion and other county fire stations to the store.
According to a spokesman for Lexington County, gas begin leaking around some equipment inside the store. The fire service dispatched their fire engines and a hazardous materials unit. After that team arrived, they also found elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas in the building. In total, four individuals were transported to a local medical facility for evaluation by Lexington County EMS.
According to the fire service, they were on the scene for approximately one and one-half hours while a maintenance man for the store chain repaired the leak. LCFS had six fire trucks and ten personnel committed to dealing with the situation. The store was reopened later that night.