Red Bank, SC (Paul Kirby) – A Red Bank woman was burned after she used a lighter for illumination while wearing oxygen. The accident occurred in the 100 block of Weaver Drive just off Platt Springs Road near the Village Store.
According to a spokesman for Lexington County, the woman was trying to locate something in her home and lit the lighter, so she could see better. Apparently, the oxygen she wears for her health quickly intensified the flame causing her to be burned badly.
Lexington County EMS responded, and the crew decided that her injuries were severe enough to request a Lifenet helicopter response. It landed in the parking lot of Red Bank Baptist Church where the woman was transferred to the chopper and its crew. She was flown to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia. There is no word on her condition.