New Logo.PNG

Shed fire near Pelion goes to second alarm Saturday afternoon as it threatens home

Pelion, SC (Paul Kirby) A shed fire in the 1600 block of Pine Street near Pelion quickly went to a second alarm which summonsed more manpower and water tankers as the first responding battalion chief realized that the fire was threatening a nearby home and was already moving through the adjacent brush. It also damaged a car that was nearby. The first arriving crew, with two men aboard, reported that the shed was already well involved and began efforts to protect the home before it was consumed as well. The fire was close to the intersection of Pine Street and Glover Road west of the town limits.

The call came in just before 5:30 p.m. Saturday and firefighters from across the South Region’s stations responded to assist. The first battalion chief knew that fire hydrants weren’t within range of their supply hoses and realized that the fire had already advanced to the point that a great deal of water and manpower would be needed to control it. By striking the second alarm, the 911 center’s dispatcher sent another prearranged response from stations as far away as Gilbert, South Congaree, and Lexington. This also commits the second working battalion chief which is assigned to the North Region. In cases like this, the on-call duty officer is notified and starts redistributing the county’s remaining resources to cover areas where the trucks and manpower were committed to the Pine Street fire.

When sufficient manpower arrived, and a consistent rural water supply was established using the tankers, the firefighters were able to make a knockdown of the fire bringing it under control. A tractor-plow unit from the SC Forestry responded to assist the county’s teams and plowed a break around the fire that had spread to the woods encircling it. This effectively stops its forward motion and allows firefighters to put it out. Firefighters and equipment began leaving the scene at about 6:30 p.m. and the last resources were committed until after 7:00 p.m.

The Lexington County Sheriff’s Department had several deputies respond to assist with the traffic that was resulting from all the fire trucks and tankers in the roadway. The utility company also was requested to deal with downed electrical lines. An EMS unit was also there on standby for the safety of the firefighters and others on the scene of the blaze.

The first structure was a total loss as a result of the fire. Joe Mergo, spokesman for Lexington County and the county's administrator, said that firefighters had estimated that the loss of the building and its contents was in excess of $20,000. Mergo said that the firefighters were able to protect the nearby home from being damaged.

Keep Your News Free - Donate to The Ledger
Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144