Home burns off Donald Drive near Boiling Springs
Boiling Springs, SC (Paul Kirby) – A home caught fire and burned early Wednesday morning in the 200 block of Donald Drive between Boiling Springs and Edmund. The call to the Lexington County 911 Center came in at approximately 1:30 a.m., bringing firefighters and trucks from across the central and southern portions of the county. Callers had apparently advised telecommunicators that the chimney in the home was on fire, but everyone was already out of the structure.
When Engine 4 arrived from the closest station, the senior man on that truck reported that there was smoke coming from the ridgeline of the home. The second arriving truck had spotted a fire hydrant while they were coming in to the fire, but because it was more than 4,000 feet away on Boiling Springs Road, they decided that it wasn’t feasible to lay a supply hose from it. The battalion chief made the call to use tanker trucks to carry water from the hydrant to the burning home. Firefighters worked on extinguishing the fire for some time. Around 4:00 a.m. some trucks and equipment were released from the scene to return to their stations. The fire was reported out and the last of the equipment and manpower was leaving the scene before 4:30 a.m. All trucks standing by at empty stations were also released to return to their primary areas. The crew from Engine 4 did return to check on things about an hour later, but they found nothing to be concerned with and left quickly.
The fire service had their dispatch notify the American Red Cross to assist the displaced residents of the home. Lexington County has not confirmed the cause of the fire or said what they estimate is the loss to the home.