Edmund, SC - A fire early Monday morning destroyed a home and car in the 900 block of Bethany Church Road. This is between the Edmund and the Red Bank communities. The fire was dispatched at approximately 3:15 a.m. bringing firefighters and equipment from the county’s Edmund, Red Bank, Boiling Springs, South Congaree, Sharpe’s Hill, and Gaston stations. During the height of the fire, an engine and several firefighters were moved from Round Hill to Edmund to cover the portion of the county that was stripped of its firefighting resources by the blaze.
The first fire company to arrive reported that flames were rolling from the rear and right end portions of the home. They also advised that a vehicle was burning, and a shed was being threatened. Because the vehicle was there in the yard and no one was standing outside when the firefighters arrived, they immediately went into a rescue mode thinking the occupants might be trapped. This had the crews immediately begin searching the home for any trapped people. A Lexington County EMS crew was standing by in case someone was located and needed medical care. The firefighters were unable to locate anyone inside and eventually began working their hoses to knock the flames down. It took about an hour for them to mark the fire under control.
The incident commander quickly requested Mid-Carolina Electric come out and disconnect the power to the home once he arrived and set up his command post. They got there quickly and were able to stop the electrical service so that the area would be safer for the firefighters working. The battalion chief also had the dispatch center notify the American Red Cross for assistance for the residents of the home who were displaced. Shortly after 5:00 a.m., the commander requested deputies respond because traffic was picking up and cars were attempting to cross fire hoses in the road. This is illegal and can damage the hoses and cause firefighters to be injured.
At 5:30 a.m., the fire service's equipment and personnel were leaving the scene and it was reported to be out. It didn’t appear as if anyone was hurt and the cause of the fire hasn’t yet been determined.