Cayce, SC (Paul Kirby) 1:59 p.m. – Firefighters from the Cayce Department of Public Safety responded to a report of a fire at the Courtyard by Marriott on Ft. Congaree Trail Wednesday morning. The call regarding the fire came in just after 9:00 a.m. and the Cayce personnel immediately requested assistance from the City of West Columbia and the Lexington County Fire Service while enroute.
The first fire officer that arrived on scene reported that the building had been evacuated and there appeared to be smoke coming from a room on the fourth floor. Crews immediately suited up and began working their way to the top to investigate. Once they arrived on the fourth floor, they connected a high-rise pack, a special setup that firefighters use in these situations, and deployed their hoses from the building’s standpipe fire system. They located a room that had the heaviest smoke coming from it, entered, and the fire was quickly put out. The fire was marked under control at 9:24 a.m.
Firefighters were still on the scene after 9:30 a.m. ventilating rooms, checking the roof to make sure that the fire hadn’t extended, and overhauling the room the fire was in. There was some smoke that had extended to the third floor and firefighters were assessing those rooms for damage. They have reported that many rooms on the fourth floor did have light smoke in them that they needed to remove.
An ambulance from Lexington County EMS transported one employee from the scene for what is believed to be a minor injury. Another ambulance was dispatched to be in place in the event that someone else needed assistance.
Assistant Chief Jim Crosland of the Cayce Department of Public Safety said that the entire incident was due to a malfunctioning air conditioner in one of the fourth floor rooms. That room was the one that received the most damage. Crosland said that shortly after their trucks left, a fire sprinkler company was on the scene repairing issues with that system. It is expected that the hotel will be back open on Thursday.