Irmo Fire District responds to house fire where one person was burned
Irmo, SC (Paul Kirby) – The Irmo Fire District responded to a reported house fire off Shadowood Drive in the heart of Irmo Monday night. The call reporting the fire was received at 9:28 p.m.
The fire district’s assistant chief was the first to arrive on scene and he reported smoke coming from the front of the home. IFD’s Tower 17 and Engine 171 arrived on scene moments after the chief and their crews were deployed to make entry into the smoke-filled residence.
The first in firefighters discovered that the fire was out, but the home was filled with smoke. They found that the fire had been burning in the kitchen area of the home, but it had been extinguished by the homeowner. The fire was started when a pot was inadvertently left on the stove.
The district’s thermal imaging camera, a special camera that sees heat even through walls and ceilings, was used to check for extension in the cabinetry. When no further fire was discovered, the fire crews used a ventilation fan to remove the smoke from within the structure.
One person in the home was burned while trying to extinguish the fire prior to the fire district’s arrival. That person was treated by a crew from Lexington County’s EMS and then transported to a local medical facility for further care.
Once all the smoke was removed from the home, the scene was turned back over to the homeowner. All Irmo fire equipment returned to their stations.