New Logo.PNG

Home burns, woman injured in fire on Jacques Haven Road

South Congaree, SC (Paul Kirby) – A woman was transported to a hospital with unspecified injuries and a large home was severely damaged after it caught fire yesterday evening just west of South Congaree. This fire happened at the tail end of the severe storms that rolled through the county toppling trees, downing powerlines, and causing localized flooding. Firefighters from a number of the county’s south region stations were dispatched to the call that occurred around 5:30 p.m. It was first reported to be on Tabor Drive, but later found to be on Jacques Haven Road which is a narrow dirt road that runs between Princeton and Gator Roads. The confusion with the caller appeared to stem from the fact that the home was located very near the intersection of Tabor and Jacques Haven Road. When the first due fire resources arrived, they reported heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the home. They also reported to their central dispatch that there was a woman on the scene who was unconscious. Within a few moments of arrival of the first due fire crews, a second alarm was struck. This brought additional pumpers, water tankers, and manpower to the fire. Another EMS unit also responded because the first ambulance was needed to transport the injured woman. Standard operating procedures dictate that an EMS unit will be on the scene of all working structure fires to help monitor the vital signs and the general health conditions of the firefighters as they battle the blaze. Much of the fire was focused on one room of the second story on the left end of the home. Firefighters could be seen playing their water streams on the flames through a window of that room. Although the heaviest fire and damage seemed to be there, it appeared as if the rest of the home was either partially involved in the actual fire or had smoke damage as well. Although the fire was brought under control quickly, fire marshals, and other senior fire service officials, as well as deputies from the sheriff’s department, stayed on the scene until late into the night. The last of the fire service personnel left well after 9:00 p.m. before turning the scene over to the sheriff’s department. Sheriff’s employees appeared to be closely looking into either the cause of the fire or something else that was found at the home. Although we had a great deal of lightning that accompanied the severe weather with the thunderstorms that had just passed through the area, it didn’t appear as if the cause of the fire was not immediately deemed a lightning strike. It is not necessarily normal procedure to have investigators spend a great deal of time looking into the cause and origin of every structure fire. We have asked the sheriff’s spokesman for additional information and are waiting on his response. The condition of the woman that was injured and the actual cause of the fire has not been released. There has been no estimated monetary loss to the home released at this time either.

Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144