Lexington District 3 seeks AVID tutors
Batesburg-Leesville, SC - Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is an educational program for middle and high school students that supports student preparation for college through an academic elective course that teaches necessary learning skills, reinforces the academic core, and encourages rigorous student course taking.
General Duties: AVID tutors will support middle and/or high school students enrolled in the AVID elective course by providing direct instructional support to students with the assistance of an AVID elective course teacher. In addition, they will serve as role models to students. Tutors will work a minimum of 2 hours per week, spread out over 1-2 days per week (Tuesdays/Thursdays).
Be a current college student or a college graduate.
Be proficient in core subjects: English, Math (Algebra, Geometry) and Science.
Have reliable transportation.
Be available to work at least one school semester.
1. Be there on time and on a regular basis; notify teacher in advance of an absence (24-48 hrs).
2. Assist students in maintaining their AVID binders and Cornell notes in all academic classes.
3. Actively participate in tutorial groups.
4. Become familiar with the specific routines and expectations of the AVID teacher’s classroom.
5. Adhere to district/site policies and procedures.
6. Turn in signed tutorial logs on time.
7. Facilitate the tutorial learning process by implementing AVID methodologies.
PAY RATE: $15/hour