Edmund business completely destroyed by fire
Edmund, SC (Paul Kirby) – Michael Coombes, an employee of S&T Grading in Edmund, said Thursday night that the business was destroyed by fire this afternoon. According to Coombes, someone was doing some welding when a gas cylinder exploded, setting the structure on fire. The business was located on Landfill Lane right off Edmund Highway behind the county’s convenience station.
The fire service received the call just after 4:00 p.m. When the first units arrived, they reported that fire was coming through the roof of the business. They attacked the fire, but a lack of fire hydrants hindered their efforts to put the fire out. Eventually the fire was controlled, but the business was completely destroyed as a result of the blaze.A personal, light truck that was parked near the building was also damaged.
S&T has been in business for many years. The company is run by well know local businessman Mike Sturkie. Years ago, they were headquartered on Sunset Boulevard near the Target where Sturkie partnered with the Corley family of Lexington to run a construction and demolition debris landfill. He also has done site preparation work for many years and had that business' offices located there.
Over the last few decades, Sturkie moved the operation to landfill lane in Edmund where they built an office and shop complex. They also started another C&D landfill on that property that accepted organic debris, wood, concrete, and the other materials that are left as a result of the demolition of construction sites and older buildings.
After the fire yesterday, the building lay in ruins. Coombes said that the fire started with the welding in the shop and quickly spread to the rest of the building. The shop, the attached offices, and all of its contents all was just a smoldering pile of rubble.
The fire service has not said what they’ve estimated the total damages at.