New Logo.PNG

Fire burns structure near Round Hill closes Two Notch Road Wednesday night

Round Hill, SC (Paul Kirby) – A blaze that was reported as a shed fire apparently consumed a structure last night destroying it before firefighters could bring the fire under control. During the blaze, the 2600 block of Two Notch Road was closed because a large fire hose was stretched across it from a nearby fire hydrant. This is in between Longs Pond and Barr Roads, not far from the heavy industrial area that sits adjacent to I-20. The structure was actually right beside the Round Hill fire station.

The first calls regarding the fire began coming in at approximately 8:40 p.m. The original reports were it was a shed fire and the fire service was dispatched accordingly. When the first trucks arrived from the closest station, they found that the fire actually involved a very large out building that was well involved. They immediately asked for additional help. That request brought equipment and manpower from across much of the central portion of the county.

Both battalion chiefs responded, and this brought out the duty chief to manage the remainder of the county’s resources that weren’t committed. This is part of the fire service’s standard operating procedures. Trucks were moved from stations that weren’t actively committed to the fire so that no areas were left unprotected. The officers also were directing the approach of the responding equipment so that some resources were arriving from both sides of the fire. This was important so that all the trucks didn’t come in from a single direction where the supply hose was blocking Two Notch Road.

Deputies from the sheriff’s department responded to assist with the traffic that was being stopped by the hose across the road. Lexington County EMS crews were also on the scene monitoring the firefighters and helping to rehab them once they came off the fire lines.

Multiple handlines were in use at the height of the blaze. The situation was aided by the presence of the fire hydrant. With a hydrant for water supply, tanker trucks that are sometimes used to carry water can be parked, and their crews can be thrown into the fight. It took about 40 minutes to bring the fire under control.

The exact cause of the fire not been released by the fire service. The building was completely destroyed by the fire.

Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144