New Logo.PNG

Gilbert Elementary School evacuated due to small electrical fire

LEXINGTON, S.C. (Paul Kirby) - At about 1:30 p.m., Gilbert Elementary School staff noticed a small fire in an electrical closet. School administrators immediately evacuated the school and called the fire service. The school’s automated alarm system had already notified Lexington County who dispatched fire trucks and manpower to the alarm. Once they arrived on the scene and discovered that there was actually a small fire, they upgraded their response appropriately.

Fire service officials, along with the school’s administrators, found the exact point and origin of the fire and SCE&G was notified to respond. The utility workers isolated that portion of the building’s electrical system. District electricians are on the scene at the school working to repair the proble. At 2:15 p.m. the fire was declared under control. A short time later, most of the fire service resources were cleared from the school.

According to the school district, all students and staff are safe and accounted for.

Keep Your News Free - Donate to The Ledger
Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144