Irmo Fire District had to close major road after workers broke gas main on Black Friday
Irmo, SC (Paul Kirby) - A construction crew struck a gas main early Friday breaking it near the intersection of Bush River and Westover Road. Bush River Road was completely closed due to safety concerns. Some residents sheltered in their houses while other homes were evacuated.
The Irmo Fire District got the call around 10:20 a.m. Friday. A construction company working in the area hit the main causing the leak. The first reports indicated that the leak was actively spewing gas. There was a genuine concern for residents in the area that the natural gas would ignite.
Dominion Energy eventually arrived and repaired the line. Firefighters were prepared if something ignited the gas causing an explosion or fire. People were allowed to return home or go about their business only after the leak was controlled.