111 North 12th Street

West Columbia, SC 29169

 $50 instore rebate off

4 tires

 Plus 50% off alignment 

House burns west of Lexington on New Year’s Eve

Lexington, SC (Paul Kirby) – A house was heavily damaged on New Year’s Eve despite quick action by Lexington County firefighters who brought it under control quickly. The home on Longshadow Drive not far from Lexington High School had flames coming through the roof when the first LCFS units arrived.

Firefighters and EMS personnel had been busy most of the day with collisions or small brush fires due to fireworks when the Longshadow call came in around 10:40 p.m. When the house fire was dispatched, callers first told 911 operators that someone could be trapped inside; an ominous message given that a man had died in a fire Christmas Eve in Lexington County. The battalion chief out of Lexington was quick to arrive and began directing personnel and equipment that were getting close for the fight.

When firefighters arrived, they were told that all occupants had escaped so they immediately moved into an offensive mode. They entered the home and in short order had located the seat of the fire and began applying water. Other trucks arrived, and one dropped a large supply hose for water supply from the nearest fire hydrant. The attack team were pouring water on the flames and in minutes, they brought the blaze under control. They had to pull the ceiling of the house to get to the most stubborn of flames along the ridge, but for the most part the fire gave up quickly.

Teams from another unit began the process of salvage and overhaul. They used large tarps to cover the occupant’s belongings that had not been damaged to protect items from water and soot there as a process of the fire fight. The overhaul, a process of looking for every last ember and ensuring it was out, took some time longer. The last fire crews left the scene about 11 minutes after the clock brought in the New Year.

Firefighters received invaluable assistance from crews with Lexington County’s EMS. Deputies from the LCSD also assisted in the effort.

The occupants of the home were displaced by the fire. Dominion Energy came and disconnected the electricity and the firefighters secured the gas while they were working. The exact extent of the damage nor the cause of the fire has been released.

Keep Your News Free - Donate to The Ledger
Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144

Nancy Road Digital Media Inc.

                                                                                      DBA: The Lexington Ledger

Contact: (803) 587-3144                                                                                                           Tips call the hotline at: (803) 587-3144

email: thelexingtonledger@gmail.com                                                                                      Content protected by US copyright laws

                                                                                                                                                 Advertising / marketing call Paul (803) 587-3144

                                                                                                                                                                                               

© 2023 by "This Just In". Proudly created with Wix.com