Former student charged in social media school threat scheme
Lexington, S.C. – A 17-year-old former Gilbert High School student has been charged in connection to school threats posted on a Lexington School District One employee’s Facebook account.
The former student, whose name will not be released because he’s under the age of 18, is charged with two counts of second-degree burglary and one count of threatening a school, according to an incident report.
“This case started with a burglary-in-progress call Monday afternoon,” Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said. “A woman called 911 to report she had seen a person walk out of the back door her home on Hayride Road and drive away in a truck.”
A Lexington County deputy stopped the truck on Hayride Road and questioned the driver, according to Koon.
“The 17-year-old driving the truck waived his Miranda rights and told the deputy he had gone into the home to use the woman’s Facebook account,” Koon said. “He told the deputy he’d done the same thing last week to make a threat against Gilbert High School.”
Deputies transported the 17-year-old to the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice. He’s scheduled to appear at a court hearing Wednesday.