Lexington District One offers food program for children
Lexington, S.C. — Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Lexington County School District One will offer a free food program for children 18 years old and younger.
The program, federally funded by the United States Department of Agriculture and administered through the South Carolina Department of Education and Lexington County School District One, provides and serves meals to children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.
The program runs Monday through Friday throughout the district’s closure due to COVID-19.
Since all food is “grab and go,” the plan to feed students allows parents to drive into the student drop-off area of any one of the school food sites from 11 a.m. through 1 p.m. No food will be consumed on-site.
At that time, children age 18 and younger will receive a bag containing lunch and the next day’s breakfast. Those children, however, must be present in the vehicle at the time of pick up.
The district appreciates the outpouring of support and offers of volunteers to help with the meals. We believe it best, however, to follow CDC guidelines and eliminate groups of people gathering for any reason.
As we were all concerned about the children who depend on school meals each day, our Food Service and Nutrition staff is excited to be able to offer this program.
The following locations will serve as food program “grab and go” sites:
1. Carolina Springs Middle School, 6180 Platt Springs Road, Lexington, SC 29073;
2. Forts Pond Elementary School, 7350 Fish Hatchery Road, Pelion, SC 29123;
3. Gilbert Primary School, 520 Main Street, Gilbert, SC 29054;
4. Oak Grove Elementary School, 479 Oak Drive, Lexington, SC 29073 (pending approval);
5. Red Bank Elementary School, 246 Community Drive, Lexington, SC 29073;
6. Rosenwald Community Learning Center, 420 Hendrix Street, Lexington, SC 29072; and
7. White Knoll Elementary School, 132 White Knoll Way, West Columbia, SC 29170.
IMPORTANT NOTE — The district is also developing a plan to get food out to certain areas. Once that plan is complete, we will notify you of those locations.