Cayce, SC (Paul Kirby) – The Cayce Department of Public Safety is on the scene of a gas leak that is located somewhere inside the Cayce Masonic Hall in the city. The smell was first reported at about 9:20 a.m. Thursday morning. This building is located at 1701 12th Street near Oakland Avenue.
1st Sgt. Evan Antley of Cayce DPS said that the natural gas covered a rather small geographical area around the building. They were using gas monitors to ensure that they had evacuated the homes that had high readings around them. In total, they had evacuated 12 to 15 homes in the area.
Dominion Energy was on the scene with the public safety officers and firefighters. They have already stopped the flow of gas to the building and it’s slowly dissipating. At about 10:15 a.m., the levels of the gas had reached the point that a team was entering the building to try and pinpoint the source of the leak.
Antley said that they planned on keeping people out of the area until their gas monitors show that the atmosphere is no longer explosive. He said he hoped this wouldn’t be much longer, but the department wanted to handle this situation safely.