West Columbia, SC (Paul Kirby) – A home was damaged by fire on Methodist Park Road Sunday evening after a grease fire got out of control and someone had to dial 911. Firefighters from a number of stations responded as did a crew and truck from Lexington County EMS.
Firefighters who first pulled up reported they had light smoke visible. The second due fire engine laid a supply line from the closest hydrant as a precaution in the event the fire had extended into another portion of the home. Even though that water supply was established, the first crews that entered the home were able to bring it under control with little water in very little time.
Even though the firefighters were quick to knock the fire down, the blaze did enough damage to the structure that it displaced the residents. Lexington County’s battalion chief notified the American Red Cross to assist them until the home could be repaired or they could find another place to stay. That same chief ensured that no one was injured before releasing the EMS unit that was responding so that they could begin taking other calls for service.