top of page
Top of page.PNG

Fire burns home on Sox Street in West Columbia Thursday afternoon

West Columbia, SC (Paul Kirby) – A home was heavily damaged by fire and smoke off Sox Street near Carroll Drive Thursday afternoon. This in the West Columbia area between Platt Springs Road and Airport Boulevard. Fire resources from the City of West Columbia, Lexington County, and others were dispatched to help extinguish the blaze. The fire was reported at approximately 4:30 p.m.

First due firefighters reported that smoke was pushing from the home when they arrived at the scene. Callers to Lexington County’s 911 center had reported this started as a grease fire that simply got out of hand. Although the fire had grown from time of dispatch to time of arrival, the home was still at a point that firefighters could go on the offensive to attack it.

Crews pulled several handlines while another truck established the water supply. Handlines are hoses that are small enough to move relatively easily but still flow a great deal of water to fight fire. The crews also had fire hydrants in the area which is always easier on firefighters than using tanker trucks to carry water to the scene. In short order, the firefighters had knocked the fire down and transferred to searching for any hidden embers and protecting things of value in other parts of the house if some were still salvageable.

Two adults and four children were displaced by the fire. The fire chief had his 911 center notify the American Red Cross so they could come and assist the family as they began the recovery process. Several fire marshals were on scene during the time the home was burning. They will try and confirm what the cause of the fire was and help with an estimate of the monetary damages to the home.

Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144

bottom of page