County’s young artist invited to enter Congressional Art Competition
Lexington County, SC - 04/02/2021 (Paul Kirby) - Each year, Congressman Joe Wilson (SC-2) of Lexington County and the US House of Representatives participate in the sponsorship of a nation-wide high school arts competition sponsored by the Congressional Institute. The Congressional Art Competition is a way to recognize the talent of young artists here in the Second Congressional District of South Carolina and across the nation.
This competition is open to all high school students, and one winner is selected to represent the SC Second Congressional District. The winning artwork will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol with art from all participating districts around the country. This is truly a spectacular exhibit - one that Congressman Wilson encourages everyone to come and see if you are ever in Washington.
Here’s what it takes to enter your artwork in this competition:
1. Artwork must be two-dimensional and represent this year's theme, The Palmetto State: Capturing the Spirit of South Carolina.
2. Each framed artwork can be no larger than 26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep. If your artwork is selected as the winning piece, it must be framed. Even when framed, it must still measure no larger than the above maximum dimensions. No framed piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
1. Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
2. Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (it is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
3. Collages: must be two dimensional
4. Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
5. Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc
6. Computer-generated art
Entries must be original in concept, design, and execution, and must be entered in the original medium (i.e. not a scan or copy of original work).
PHOTO CAPTION: Outstanding artwork from Cylyse of AC Flora High School, the Second Congressional District of South Carolina’s 2020 Congressional Art Competition Winner.
All submissions must be delivered to one of Congressman Wilson’s District Offices in the Midlands or Aiken-Barnwell by close of the business day on April 30, 2021.
If you would like any additional information or have any questions about the Congressional Art Competition, please contact Jackson Gossett in the Midlands office at 803-939-0041. You can also find more information the Congressman Wilson’s website by clicking this link.