top of page
Mid Page.png

Man gets 35 years in West Columbia murder

Lexington, SC (Paul Kirby) - Jamal Devontae Coburn, 28, of West Columbia, has been sentenced to 35 years in prison after he was found guilty by a jury of murdering Corey Anthony Jamison. The trial, which lasted one week, was presided over by the Honorable William P. Keesley. 

According to the Eleventh Circuit Solicitor’s Office, Judge Keesley imposed the sentence after the jury returned their guilty verdict on Monday, November 9th. The solicitor pointed out that Coburn is not eligible for parole under South Carolina law.

The evidence presented in the case proved to the jurors that Coburn murdered Corey Jamison, age 29, on August 24, 2018. This happened at the Riverbend Apartment complex at the 100 block of Riverbend Drive in the West Columbia area of Lexington County. 

According to the prosecution, Jamison was ambushed by Coburn and an unidentified male after an altercation between Jamison and one of Coburn’s family members. That had happened earlier that evening. During the ambush, Coburn shot Jamison and then pistol-whipped him in the head in front of witnesses. Jamison was transported to the Lexington Medical Center where he later died. 

When investigators arrived, witnesses immediately identified Coburn as the shooter. Law enforcement began a search for him, but he had already fled the area. The U.S. Marshals eventually arrested Coburn in Glendale, Arizona about 13 months after the murder.

During the trial, a witness testified Coburn brandished his gun and approached Jamison while he was exiting a vehicle. He shot Jamison without hesitation. The witness said that after Jamison was shot, Coburn beat him with the gun and tried to shoot him again. He then fled. 

During the trial, Coburn took the stand in his own defense. He confessed he shot Jamison but said it was done in self-defense. He admitted he tossed the gun in a pond after he ran. The jury didn’t believe the self-defense claim and returned the guilty verdict. 

The Lexington County Sheriff’s Department’s Major Crimes Unit investigated the shooting. They received assistance from agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division or SLED. The US Marshal Service was instrumental in the search for the fugitive.

Following the trial, Solicitor Rick Hubbard said, “This was an extremely difficult and hard-fought case that took teamwork. I am grateful for the hard work on the part of the prosecution team and law enforcement in bringing closure to the victim’s family. There were a lot of late nights and a late-night verdict as well, and because of the dedication of our prosecutors and staff, justice was done here in Lexington County.”

Photo of L: Jamal Coburn & R: Corey Jamison


Call the Editor
(803) 587-3144

Counter reset on January 30, 2018 with total hits of 966,512 to date

Call Paul Kirby

(803) 587-3144

bottom of page